Are mold patches on your walls giving you a headache? Well, we mean it both literally and figuratively! If you’ve been suffering from headaches, dizziness, nasal congestion, or some allergic reactions recently, chances are, the mold sitting there on your wall could be causing all this trouble. This is because mold spores have an immense impact on the air quality inside your home. It can cause various allergic reactions and can sometimes even pose serious health risks to you and especially to your children.
Not only molds are a danger to your kids and your family with suppressed immune systems, molds can also undermine the structural integrity of your home if left untreated. It doesn’t matter whether you’re seeing a small patch or a huge one, because the more you wait, the more you’re putting your family’s health at risk, and the more that it can spread throughout the other areas of your living space. In general, molds will eat away your walls, your wood supports, and any porous and organic surface in your house that will cause premature deterioration, which will definitely cost you more in repairs in the long run. That said, we strongly advise homeowners to immediately find the source and remediate the mold as soon as you notice them.
Strong Indicators of Mold Infestation on Your Walls
The problem though is that most of the time, visible mold colonies only show up by the time it has already spread through a substantial area in your home. Especially with walls, you wouldn’t see patches of discoloration right away unless there are water leaks but if there’s none, you’d usually notice the mold blemishes when it’s too late to clean them on your own. This is why mold removal companies use specialized equipment to detect water leaks and moisture levels inside wall cavities. But how about for an average homeowner?
We know having to deal with an indoor mold problem is a vexing situation to be in and that leaves you anxious and afraid for your family’s safety, but there are tell-tale signs that your walls could be hiding a dirty (and moldy) secret you just have to be wary of these indicators:
- Unexplainable Musty Odor
When there is a presence of microorganisms like mold in an area, they emit a strong and musty odor. Usually, homeowners couldn’t find where it’s coming from because it’s hidden within the walls.
- Signs of Water Damage
Have you noticed leaks in your roof, walls or ceilings lately? If yes, it could be the source of moisture that’s turning your place into a breeding ground for mold and fungi. Molds love areas with excessive amounts of moisture and humidity and it’s probably what’s causing the uncomfortable scent you’ve been smelling around your home.
- Bubbling, Cracking, and Peeling Paint Walls
Bubbling, cracking, and peeling of paint walls is an indication that there are high levels of moisture within the walls. The walls are damp and that is what’s causing the paint to bulge and split.
- Allergies Triggered by an Unknown Source
If you’re sensitive to fungus, your body is likely to exhibit allergies without a known source. Others report experiencing coughing, itchy or watery eyes, stuffy nose, and shortness of breath.
- Noticeable Discoloration on Walls
The discoloration on walls could be stained from water damage or it could be a mold colony. If it is a mold colony, you need to check the extent of the damage and make sure to scrub off all fungi off the wall.
How to Treat Mold-Infested Walls
If the infected interior wall is a coated one, then you’re lucky because you can remove it by just using a scrub and a cleaning agent. Here’s a quick guide on how you should proceed:
- Check, identify, and prepare the area. Determine the extent of the infestation and prepare the area by removing all objects and furniture pieces away from the site. Cover the surrounding areas with plastic cloth so you can protect the floor from spills.
- Prepare the solution. If you prefer a more organic natural mold remover, you can mix vinegar with equal parts of water or you can also use one part baking soda to five parts of water for a milder solution. But if you think you need a stronger compound, you can also use bleach or borax but make sure to blend it with water so you don’t suffocate yourself from its fumes. Otherwise, you can buy a mold-killing agent from your local store. Use a spray bottle for an easier and more convenient application.
- Scrub the area. You can use an old toothbrush or a soft bristle brush but if that doesn’t work, switch the brush with one that has a much stiffer bristle. Scrub the affected area vigorously until you have removed all visible molds but be careful not to damage your walls.
- Dry the area. Once done, wipe off the excess solution with a dry cloth or towel. Make sure that you dry it out thoroughly. You can use an electric fan to dry it faster.
- Paint the area if necessary. If the mold has left stains on your otherwise pristine white wall, you can apply a stain-blocking primer and paint to conceal the blemishes.
Do note though that this only works for a painted wall. In contrast, you will need to cut and replace the area if it’s a non-coated wall. Again, this only works if the affected area can still be salvaged using a quick fix. On the other hand, it would be better to consult a mold remediation expert for more serious contamination. Usually, mold removal companies will offer you a free estimate so don’t hesitate to inquire from different service providers. You can seek assistance from Hero Mold Removal if you’re living in Virginia or North Carolina.