Spruce-Pine-Fir, which is popularly known as SPF lumber, is made from the combination of Engelmann Spruce, Lodgepole Pine, and Subalpine Fir. This lumber is very famous in North America because of its versatility and advantages. It can be used in various projects like residential, commercial, agriculture, industrial buildings, etc. Due to its stability and toughness, it has many applications.
Here are some of the most common uses of SPF lumber:
- Framing– SPF low grade is a great material for house framing. Since they are relatively strong, they can be robust enough to hold a house and the roof together. Other than its excellent nail holding property, SPF is kiln-dried, which also makes it resistant to any water damage and insect infestation.
- Interior Finishing- SPF is also quite popular for its bright and clear appearance which makes it suitable to use in interior finishing. The SPF wood comes in color ranges from white to pale yellow, and because of its smooth texture, it can be easily painted. It is also known for its top-notch gluing and staining properties. A well-processed SPF can be used for interior finishing without the wood being warped.
- Furniture Framing- Furniture framing is one of the very common applications of SPF. While it can be used for indoor projects, SPF gives the best results outdoor. The reason for this is other than its sturdiness, it is hardly affected by environmental changes. Even if the climate changes from hot to cold, it would not have any effect on the wood and it will maintain its shape and size, hence keeping your furniture safe and in good shape.
- Railway Ties- Because of its robustness, SPF is also been used in making railway ties. The railway ties are those rectangular support used for rail in railroads. The dimensional stability of the SPF is what makes it an important element in the making of railway ties.
- Prefabrication Industry- This is one of the developing industries which means manufacturing old building elements in a factory and then transporting it to the building site. These include walls, windows, pre-wired fixtures, etc. Due to the structural and mechanical qualities of SPF, it is the best choice of wood for manufacturers to make pallets, premanufactured walls, etc.
These are just some of the uses of SPF. There are many more benefits of using it, making it one of the top choices in lumber.